Roasted Eggplant with Tahini
By Debbie Kornberg
This Israeli appetizer is a winner every time! There is nothing quite like a whole roasted eggplant
with freshly made tahini dressing to get the crowd cheering for more!
1/2 cup raw Tahini
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Sweet Paprika
Water - ¼ cup to ½ cup depending on desired consistency
Optional: 1 box of sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
Garnish - Hummus + Tahini Topper
2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1, Slice eggplant in half down the middle so you have two long “boat” halves. Place on non-stick cooking sheet. Roast at 450 degrees for approximately 45 minutes or until fully cooked and very toasty brown on top. During the cooking process, you can poke holes on top to help cook the eggplant all the way through.
2. While eggplant is in the oven, start tahini sauce. Using a food processor, minced garlic, add tahini paste, lemon juice, paprika and 1/4 cup water. Add more water as you go until the desired consistency is reached. The more water you add, the thinner the tahini dressing. (Makes for a great salad dressing too!)
3. Once eggplant is cooked, using a knife cut a crisscross pattern along the meaty surface of the eggplant and cut along the sides to help release the eggplant from the skin but still keep it inside.
4. Place eggplant on preferred serving dish. Take tahini and pour over roasted eggplant.
5. Garnish with Hummus & Tahini Topper Mix, pomegranate seeds and parsley.
6. Serve as an appetizer course with pita, pita chips or any kind of flat bread. Yum!